People of all ages like skating especially the younger ones. Collecting and riding on different types of skateboards are their passion. But pressure cracks on the skateboard make the riding somewhat uncomfortable.
What Is Pressure Crack?
Pressure crack means cracking of something through excessive pressure over a thing. It may cause for dropping a heavy material over the product, somebody scratching on it or step on it, and so on.
What Are Pressure Cracks On A Skateboard?
Pressure cracks mean the cracks generally found around the trucks or bolts caused for constant landing on the bolts of your skateboard rather than on the middle part of the board. It is better to land on the middle area. It decreases the possibility of cracking.
Causes of Pressure Cracks On Skateboard
There are many reasons for cracking a skateboard. Like- you are heavy so it creates much pressure over the board when you land on it. Something fall over your skateboard, someone steps on it, someone uses it unconsciously, somebody scratches on it, any heavy object drop on it, or if the bolts are tightened, etc. Humidity also makes cracks on the skateboard.
Are Pressure Cracks Bad?
Cracking is not bad all the time if it is not much. It just weakens the board. You can use it for a long time. Many riders told from their experiences that pressure cracks did not hamper their riding at all.
How To Stop Pressure Crack?
You can limit or stop pressure crack on your skateboard by following some rules. These are given below:
- Do not tighten the bolts of your board.
- Get riser pads.
- Land on the perfect bolt. It keeps your board free from cracks.
- Try to control your weight. Because overweight is a cause for pressure cracks. Skateboard cannot carry much load. Or, before buying get sure about the board’s maximum weight capacity.
How To Fix A Cracked Skateboard?
Following some steps, you can fix your cracked skateboard.
- At first, check the cracks. If you can ride with it then no need to repair. But if it is much, you have to repair it. Remove the trucks and keep the board on the surface.
- Then cut the cracks with a knife.
- Remove any tape with a scraper. Remove all dust on the crack.
- Apply epoxy to cover the crack. Do it with a putty scraper and make sure that you do it gently and do not create a lot of pressure on the skateboard.
- After applying the epoxy over the cracks appropriately let the board dry for 24 hours.
- When the board dries, check the crack and smooth it with sandpaper.
- Use a gripe tape where the crack was.
- Take a test ride to ensure that the board is repaired correctly. If the board moves smoothly then it is ok. Otherwise, if there are any problems in balancing the skateboard, adjust the kingpin located at the bottom of the deck.
- Remove the bushings and tightened the kingpin while starting with the repair. If you face any problem in balancing then loosen the kingpin until you get a comfortable ride.
- Then check the stability. Ride on the board and check whether the board is going one side to another and face problems to keep it stable. If so then it is because your deck is warped. Remove the trucks and the wheels underneath.
- The final task is, immerse the skateboard in water overnight. In the morning, remove it and place a heavy object like a cement block on top of it for 24 hours. This will flatten the deck and the board gets back its original look again. Let the board completely dry.
It is normal to have pressure cracks on skateboard. But it varied according to the type of quality of the skateboard. Good quality retro skateboards are more sustainable. So, you should choose the better one while buying.
Leave a Reply