Suppose, your workplace is situated near one kilometer of the house. You may go to your office on walking. But it may take 20-30 minutes. So if you want to save time, you have to find out a way of transportation. You may be wondering about skateboarding vs biking vs walking. Well, you should stick with this article for getting the answer.
Skateboarding vs biking vs walking
We all know how enjoyable walking is. When the sun rises early in the morning, you can go out for a walk. But when it comes to commute, walking is not any solution. If you’re searching for a cheap way of transportation for going to the office, you might be thinking about skateboarding or biking.
But there are some differences between this two exercises. So, which one is better? To find this answer in terms of physical fitness and exercise, let’s have a look.
A. Calories burned when skateboarding vs biking vs walking-
Skateboarding– Skateboarding will be a fantastic workout for burning calories. It helps you to train different parts of the body. But the number of calories will be dependent upon you. Frequency of riding can play a pivotal role in burning calories.
Harvard Medical school stated the calculation as-
- A person having 125 pounds body weight will burn about 300 calories by one hour of the ride of skateboard.
- A person having 155 pounds body weight will burn about 372 calories per hour of the skateboard.
- A person having 185 pounds body weight will burn about 444 calories per hour of the skateboard.
- If you can skateboarding for 5 hours weekly, you will burn around 1500-2220 calories easily. But it may vary according to body weight. So, you should use skateboards for exercise.
Biking- If your body weight is average, you may able to burn around 450 to 750 calories in one hour of biking. But it may depend on the duration, weight, speed of biking, etc.
According to Harvard University, at a moderate pace of biking for 30 minutes period-
- If your body weight is 125 pounds, you can burn 210 calories.
- If your body weight is 155 pounds, you can burn 260 calories. A moderate pace is the calculation of about 12 to 13.9 miles of biking per hour. And if it is outside biking then-
- If your body weight is 125 pounds, you can burn 240 calories.
- If your body weight is 155 pounds, you can burn 298 calories.
- If your body weight is 185 pounds, you can burn 355 calories.
Walking- Is skateboarding better than walking? For the answer, you should have a better look-
- If you walk for 30 minutes in 3.5 mph walk, for a person with 125 pounds, 120 calories will burn. If you do a mile walk in 17 minutes then it will count as 1mph. A person with 155 pounds can burn 149 calories in 30 minutes. A person with 185 pounds of body weight can burn 178 calories in half an hour.
- If you walk for 30 minutes in 4 mph walk, for a person with 125 pounds, 135 calories will burn. A person with 155 pounds can burn 167 calories in 30 minutes. A person with 185 pounds of body weight can burn 200 calories in half an hour.
- If you walk for 30 minutes in 4.5 mph walk, for a person with 125 pounds, 150 calories will burn. A person with 155 pounds can burn 186 calories in 30 minutes. A person with 185 pounds of body weight can burn 222 calories in half an hour.
This is an average assumption. Some factors like the heat, fitness level, fat to muscle ratio, etc will play a role in varying the calculation.
B. Muscles used in skateboarding vs biking vs walking-
If you ride skateboard or bike or even walk, you can work on the body muscles. But the main difference is all about the movement of the muscle. Now we will focus on this.
Skateboarding- Is skateboarding better than biking? For the evaluation, you have to understand the effect of skateboarding and biking on the muscles.
Skateboarding works on the core muscles, quadriceps, hamstrings, gluteus maximus, and the muscle of the lower legs.
Core muscle stabilizes the body and helps to maintain the balance on unstable surfaces while skateboarding.
Quadriceps works heavily if you skateboard regularly. They are consisting of a series of four muscles which form the anterior portion of the thighs. They help in the extension of the knee and kneel the hip joint.
Skateboarding also builds the hamstrings that include a series of four muscles which are extending from the glutes to your back of the knee. These muscles bend knees that help you to pull the calves up.
The gluteus Maximus muscles are one of the biggest muscles of the body that extends from the hips towards the hamstrings. They are stabilizing during skateboarding and it allows to keep balance. And muscles of the lower legs will develop during skateboarding.
Biking- The main muscles at work during biking are the quadriceps and hamstrings muscles situated in the upper leg and the gastrocnemius and soleus in the calf. The quadriceps and hamstrings are the main muscles that will build up during biking.
Walking– Walking is considered an exercise for the whole body. The muscles of the lower legs are involved during walking. Thigh muscles are also involved. Now we will discuss elaborately.
The quadriceps raise and push upwards to the thigh and leg at the time of walking. The hamstrings shift the leg backward. The main function of the buttock muscles is to complete the rearward moving with the walk step.
Even your stomach muscles are contracted during every step forward. And whenever you are taking a step, calf muscles are heavily used at that point. Other muscles such as tibialis anterior muscles, arm and shoulder muscles, etc are also used by waking.
This is all about the comparative article regarding skateboarding vs biking vs walking. I hope this was an interesting article for you to understand these physical activities.
My personal opinion will be skateboarding because it is an economically cheap and fun way to ride. Whichever you choose, you should keep on mind about it’s the benefit. Let’s enjoy it!