Scooter tricks are always enticing and attractive. These tricks are fun, easy to apply, and also takes you out of the monotonous riding experience. That is why, everyone who rides a scooter regularly or owns one, always tend to learn and demonstrate some basic tricks while riding. So, you might be looking for tricks to do on scooter, but feel a bit clueless. Bunny hops, 180/360 flips, dive ins, these seem pretty much easy for you.
So, if you are looking for a new trick, which is mesmerizing and easy as well, then tailwhip is the best available option for you. This trick is a combination of some basic actions with the scooter, but this trick can take your scooter riding experience to the next level.
And to help you with that, now we are going to talk about how to do a tailwhip on a scooter.
What Is A Tailwhip on a Scooter?
The tailwhip is a pretty modern technique. But since it’s evolution, it has gained massive popularity among all the scooter riders. It is also known as the doorway of advanced level scooter tricks.
In this trick what the rider does is, he/she jumps with the scooter, reaches a certain height, then he/she jumps off the scooter deck a little bit, then pushes the deck with the back foot, which causes the deck to swing around in a circular motion around the handlebar and comes back to its initial point. Then the rider catches the deck with his/her feet and does a safe landing.
Nothing to worry about. Because we will break down the whole process into several segments to give you a picture-perfect idea of the tailwhip.
Also, by following the step by step process which will be given, you will easily be able to crack a perfect tail whip even if you are just a beginner.
Because we will answer all the questions regarding how to do a tail whip on a scooter for beginners or also known as how to tail whip on a scooter the easy way.
How To Do A Tailwhip On A Scooter Easy: Preparatory Phase
The tailwhip is basically a bit advanced trick. But that doesn’t mean than you need a high spec scooter, you can grab any one of the available stunt scooter brands. But before getting directly involved in the trick, you should undergo some preparatory actions and practices. These practices will soothe up your learning of this trick.
The preparation phase basically has three segments:
1. The hop
To do this trick you need to jump a bit higher than usual. The higher you can get, the more time you will be able to buy to successfully complete this trick. So you must practice simple hops regularly and try to reach as higher as possible with the hops.
2. Foot movement & management
Your feet play a very important role while doing this trick. Because the major aspects of this trick, that is swinging the deck and catching it back again, has to be done with your feet. So, to get used to it, what you can do is lift your scooter with your hand, then push the scooter with one foot, and catch it again when it completes the circle.
You can do this practice literally anywhere you want to. Because here you don’t move along with the scooter. You just stand with the scooter and do the kick and catch. But make sure you don’t hit yourself while doing this.
3. Hand Movement
In this trick, hand movement is also very important because the hand movement will help you to spin the scooter deck. It will also ensure a quick spin of the deck, so you will be able to catch the scooter deck back again easily.
What you need to do is grab the scooter’s handlebar, lift it and make the scooter deck spin by moving the handlebar in a simple up & down paddling motion. Remember, you will use only your wrists and forearms to generate the motion, not your shoulder or the entire body.
Also, make sure to keep your moving scooter as close as possible to your body. It will help you to get used to the physical balance of this trick.
What Is The Easiest Way to Tailwhip On A Scooter?
So you already know about the tailwhip trick but does it seem too complicated for you? Or like, you are asking yourself, how to do tailwhip on a scooter flat?
To redeem all your frustrations, we will start with the easier method to do this trick. Just, you have to follow the described steps very carefully and accordingly.
The description of the trick might look quite confusing. But the trick itself is not as complicated as it seems.
So, stay with us and let’s start the journey –
- First things first, pick a plain ground and get on your scooter. Place your one foot close to the handlebar. The other foot should be placed near to the rear wheel, but before placing, gain some momentum by pushing against the ground with that foot.
- Now place both your feet on the scooter deck accordingly. Get a firm but a tight grip on the handles. Remember, the grip has to be strong but firm. If the grip is very tight, then your hands will become stiff, which will hamper to generate the desired motion while on elevation and may cause unwanted casualties or failure to do the trick.
- After all this, you are ready to jump. So while moving, when you feel that you are confident to take off, do a hop and as described before, try to reach as higher as you can.
- While on a flight, jump off a little bit from the scooter, and kick the scooter with your back foot to make it swing. After the kick, use your hand motion (which you have practiced before) to generate the quick circular motion.
- When the deck completes the circular movement and returns to its starting position, catch the deck with one foot or both foot, whichever you are comfortable with and land safely.
And guess what? You just did an excellent tailwhip with your scooter.
Advanced Tailwhip Tricks
If you already know the basics of tailwhip and also thinking about how to do a tailwhip on razor scooters or like with more professional scooters, then here are some other more interesting methods to do the trick:
- If you take a slight turn before the jump, and follow up physically with the circular motion of the deck’s movement, and land on facing the opposite direction of where you started, then you will do a 180 tailwhip scooter trick. If you follow the previous step and complete a 360 flip along with the tailwhip, you will complete a 360 tailwhip trick.
- Now if you do the 360 flips and do 2 simultaneous tail whips before landing, it will become a 360 double tailwhip. And if 3 tailwhips before landing then a 360 triple tailwhip.
- A Backflip tailwhip is when you do a backflip with your scooter and while in mid-air, you make a tailwhip, catch the deck again with your one foot and land safely.
- If you combine a tailwhip and 360 counter spins on an arched ramp that means, while jumping from the ramp, spin to 360 and do a tailwhip and land. This trick is called 360 downside tailwhip.
Just to remind you, the above-mentioned version of tricks is a bit difficult and requires a lot of practice and experience. So don’t think of these tricks much in the first place. Focus on the basics mainly and do a lot of practice.
When you are very much comfortable and confident with the basic tailwhip, only then you should give some shots for these updated versions of the trick.
Let’s watch a video.
While using kick scooter for tricks, especially for tailwhip, you must follow some safety measures:
- Put on safety gear like helmet, knee and elbow pads.
- Practice with moderate speed, over speeding won’t help in this case.
- Be very cautious about the takeoff and jump timing.
- This trick will take time to get adjusted so be patient and keep on practicing.
- Take the preparatory instructions very seriously and regularly.
The Bottom Line…
Scooter tricks always provide immense satisfaction to the rider. Also, these are aesthetically pleasing as well. We here talked about the tailwhip trick along with step by step instructions of how to do a tailwhip on a scooter easy.
The trick looks a bit confusing at first sight. But if you follow the instructions provided, take the preparatory period seriously and follow the safety measures accordingly, you will find answers to all your queries about how to do a tailwhip on a scooter.
Not only had that, to satisfy your endless curiosity, we also mentioned some advanced versions of this trick as well. So, don’t wait any longer, just grab your scooter and let this adventurous journey of scooter tricks begin.